Appeal Process

Filing a Property Tax Protest
Review the following for information about filing a protest related to your property tax assessment.  For forms and additional information on your assessment, contact the County Appraiser's office. 
  • If you have not had a meeting with the County Appraiser on the valuation of your property for the same tax year, you can file a protest. Protest forms are available from the County Treasurer. 
  • Please read and follow the instructions on the form carefully for a successful appeal. Note: If the protest form is received in the Treasurer's office unsigned the protest will be considered invalid and will be returned to you. The delay may jeopardize your chances for a hearing.
  • Tax protest forms must be completed and submitted at time of payment to the Treasurer's office on or before December 20. If the taxes are paid by an escrow agent you have until January 31 of the following year to file your protest.
  • You must keep a copy of the protest form. You will need to use this form to file the protest with the Board of Tax Appeals if you are not satisfied with the County's decision.
  • The County Appraiser will contact you to schedule an informal meeting after the County Treasurer forwards your protest form to the Appraiser. If you are filing a protest on the basis of an illegal tax levy, an Appendix must be completed and attached to the protest form.  No informal hearing will be held with the Appraiser in the case of illegal tax levies.
  • If you are successful in your appeal and your taxes are reduced and result in a refund, payment will be issued upon the Treasurer receiving a correction from the County Appraiser's office.

Contact Info

Jean Nash
Interim, Labette County Appraiser
501 Merchant Oswego, KS 67356

Jean Nash
Commercial/Residential Supervisor
501 Merchant Oswego, KS 67356

Clint Ball
Ag Supervisor
501 Merchant Oswego, KS 67356